Subject: History [Print] Author: chirng Time: 2007-9-7 12:09 Subject: History
The royal town of Klang has been a site of human settlement since prehistoric times. Bronze Age drums and other artifacts have been found within the town itself and within the vicinity. Commanding the approaches to the tin rich Klang Valley, Klang has always been of key strategic importance.
The celebrated Tun Perak, the Malacca Sultanate's greatest Bendahara, came from Klang and became its territorial chief. After the fall of Melaka to the Portuguese in 1511, Klang remained in Malay hands, controlled by the Sultan Johor-Riau until the creation of Selangor sultanate in the 18th century.
In the 19th century the importance of Klang greatly increased by the rapid expansion of tin mining as a result of the increased demand for tin from the West. The desire to control the Klang Valley led directly to the Selangor Civil War (sometimes called the Klang War) of 1867-1874 when Raja Mahdi fought to regain what he considered his birthright as territorial chief against Raja Abdullah. He failed and the end result was British intervention and control.
After 1874, the British soon selected Klang over Jugra as the centre of their administration, which it remained until 1880 when they transferred it to the mining centre of Kuala Lumpur.
Klang did not lose its importance, however. Until the construction of Port Swettenham (Port Klang) in 1901, the royal town remained the chief outlet for Selangor's tin, and its position was enhanced by the completion of the Klang Valley railway (to Bukit Kuda) in 1886. In the 1890s its growth was further stimulated by the development of the district into the State' leading producer of coffee, and then rubber.
In 1901 it became the official seat of Sultan Sulaiman (Sultan Alauddin Sulaiman Shah). Today Klang is no longer State capital or the main seat of the Ruler, but it remains the headquarters of the District to which it gives it name.
Klang's modern history timelines:
* 1945 - Klang Town Authority formed.
* 1954 - Klang Town Council formed (27.5 km²)
* 1971 - Klang District Council formed, including areas surrounding Kapar and Meru towns.
* 1974 - 1977 - capital of Selangor when Kuala Lumpur became a Federal Territory and before Shah Alam was made the capital of Selangor.
* 1977 - Klang Municipal Council formed (60.9 km²)Author: chirng Time: 2007-9-7 12:09 Subject: Origin of the name
Klang may have taken its name from the Klang River which runs through the town. The entire geographical area in the immediate vicinity of the river, which begins at Kuala Lumpur and runs west all the way to Port Klang, is known as the Klang Valley.
Popular theories on the origin of the name are that it was derived from the Mon-Khmer word Klong or from Malay word Kilang meaning warehouses, given that it was full of warehouses in the old days.Author: chirng Time: 2007-9-7 12:10 Subject: Districts
Until recently, the two parts of Klang divided by the Klang River were referred to as Klang North or Klang South. Generally, Klang North is more commercial while more residential areas and government offices are located in Klang South. Hence, Klang South tends to be busier and becomes center of social activity after working hours. This was altered by the rapid growth of "Little India."Author: chirng Time: 2007-9-7 12:10 Subject: Politics
Klang proper encompasses three parliamentary seats: Kapar (Y.B. Pn. Komala Devi-MIC), Kota Raja (Y.B. Tn. Vigneswaran-MIC), and Klang (Y.B. Datin Paduka Tan Yee Kew-MCA). All three are held by the ruling coalition, the National Front or Barisan Nasional, as of 2005. These constituencies are subdivided into state seats, called DUNs.
In October 2006, the press highlighted a couple of issues that brought the Klang Municipal Council into spotlight. Zakaria Deros, his son Zainuri and daughter-in-law Roselinda Abdul Jamil were expected to be sworn in as councilors. Enormous public outcry regarding having three councilors from the same family led to the swearing-in ceremony being postponed by the Sultan.
It was also reported that Zakaria (also a BN - UMNO state assemblyman for the DUN of Pelabuhan Klang (N46)) and Mazlynoor Abdul Latiff, another councilor had built palatial mansions without approval from the council in defiance of the Town and Country Planning Act 1974.